Re: Zero as ospfIfRetransInterval

"Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM> Thu, 26 June 2003 12:43 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:44:30 -0400
From: "Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM>
Subject: Re: Zero as ospfIfRetransInterval
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi folks,

Some similar thoughts.

1. RFC2328 says that: -

    InfTransDelay
        The estimated number of seconds it takes to transmit a Link
        State Update Packet over this interface.  LSAs contained in the
        Link State Update packet will have their age incremented by this
        amount before transmission.  This value should take into account
        transmission and propagation delays; it must be greater than
        zero.

MIB allows it to be 0.

   ospfIfTransitDelay OBJECT-TYPE
         SYNTAX       UpToMaxAge
         MAX-ACCESS   read-create
         STATUS       current
         DESCRIPTION
            "The estimated number of seconds it takes to
            transmit a link state update packet over this
            interface."
         DEFVAL { 1 }
         ::= { ospfIfEntry 7 }

2. Also what would a value of 0 for RestartInterval mean. Though it would
not create a problem.

3. Besides what would a value greater than 1800 mean for
RetransmitInterval(no problem caused by it though). May be the limit could
be RefreshInterval.

I will change these in the OSPFv3 MIB atleast.

Thanks,
Vishwas