Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query

Acee Lindem <acee@lindem.com> Wed, 03 January 2007 01:32 UTC

From: Acee Lindem <acee@lindem.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:32:09 -0500
To: sujay gupta <sujay.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>

Hi Sujay,

On Jan 2, 2007, at 12:42 AM, sujay gupta wrote

<pruned - I don't like snipets of my E-mails to be quoted out of
context.>

> While going with the basic OSPF protocol working, when the helper
> exits.
> -before reaching Full State would be to regenerate LSA's, giving a
> snapshot
> of the incomplete state with the Restarting router, causing an
> "inconsistent"
> lsa generation which in turn would cause the restarting router exit
> GR.
> -after reaching Full State would be to regenerate LSA's, but this
> time a duped LSA
> reporting "inconsistent" states, which in turn would cause the
> restarting router to
> exit GR.
> While I immediately see 'wee' bit of an ethical problem by this
> approach(for it looks more like a hack ;), it is still a way of
> explicit signaling,  works for me!  Some other ways could have been
> "a one-way hello" or "lls signaling".

It's not as if this mechanism (originally conceived by John Moy)
didn't receive
ample review while RFC 3623 was in draft state. If you look at the
implementation
report (RFC 4167), you'll see that there are quite a few
implementations so not
everybody was confused. Since the sending of an inconsistent LSA has
been
standardized, the motivation for a new mechanism would need to be due to
a requirement as opposed to the fact that some people are confused.

Thanks,
Acee