Re: [OSPF] update "draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt"

Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com> Tue, 20 June 2006 10:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:47:33 -0700
From: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>
To: Zengjie Kou <kouzengjie@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] update "draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt"
Cc: ospf@ietf.org

Zengjie,

 I could only see two potential reasons for the IETF to publish a document
 of this kind:

  a) if proposed behavior affected interoperability and thus correct
     network behavior OR
  b) we wanted to encourage implementers to introduce certain optimizations
     so as to improve overall network experience for the user

 Unfortunately, the situation at hand doesn't qualify for either of the
 two:

   a) timing of hellos does not affect protocol correctness AND
   b) there's no need to encourage this behavior as people actually do
      that already.

 So, it has nothing to do with how good your idea is, but rather that
 there is no apparent need for a document.

 BTW, I personally don't see a need for this doc either.

--
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin