Re: [p2pi] Real life torrent statistics

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Tue, 19 August 2008 03:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:06:06 -0700
From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: Stas Khirman <stas@khirman.com>, p2pi@ietf.org, p4pwg@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Real life torrent statistics
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Stas,

It is refreshing to get real life data like this instead of some Linux
distribution or small legal file that has little relevance. I was wondering
what kind of info we can get from your data that shed light on ALTO
discussions. One that caught my attention was that pure localization will
probably adversely affect certain swarms (even huge ones like this), since
you do not have enough peers in certain ASs.  If the connectivity of the
swarm is not good, getting certain pieces might be difficult even if the
ones ³around² you can be downloaded lightening fast.

I wonder what is the distribution of seeders vs. AS.  I¹m thinking certain
ASs might have enough peers but maybe no seeders. This is also a tricky
situation for optimization where the swarm are islands connected by relay
peers.

It seems a lot of the bw savings ALTO can deliver is probably a cumulative
effect over many torrents and many peers instead of just one.

Thanks,

Reinaldo