[p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

huang-ming.pan at comcast.net (Peter Pan) Tue, 30 May 2006 16:20 UTC

From: "huang-ming.pan at comcast.net"
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:20:51 -0700
Subject: [p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

"A cat is good as long as it catches mice."

Me dont think SIP good (economic) for transporting all kind of services on
DHT, unless P2P SIP will be just for "vanilla" sessions. We may need to
store various kinds of databases distributedly so need a slim protocol to
access various kind of database objects without worry of MTU like we are
(Netrake SBC MTU=1300). I sincerely hope for some kind of simple binary
encoding protocol like SS7 IEs from the start so that we wont have headache
on SigComp.

Please be realistic. Different DHTs can't interoperate on peer-to-peer
basis; they can, only via gateway. I sincerely propose Kademlia since
eMule/eDonkey have proved it work (and I chose it :)

Please be specific. At least be specific to start defining some comformance
levels on what to do (functionalities/features) and how to do
(protocol/overlay). Being specific helps make derived products in small
footprint. Being specific does not mean less ambitious and simple but
confident and simplex to avoid us (you) from wavering around the same point
on the today of 2007 or 2008 watching Skype gulping millions of users every
month (:

PP