[p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it (Enrico Marocco) Sat, 27 May 2006 10:15 UTC

From: "enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it"
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:15:27 +0200
Subject: [p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

Henry,

> ...or (2) just to start, one can use openDHT as an emerging _DHT service_.

Is an external DHT service really different from a traditional location
service (e.g. a SIP registrar or a dynamic DNS service)?  I can
understand it only as a temporary solution; if the location service
wasn't distributed across SIP UAs, would this work have any real value?

> I guess we need to evaluate the criteria what to use in the DHT layer.
> SIP in the DHT layer is wrong IMHO. This is explained in:
>
> http://www.p2psip.org/drafts/draft-shim-sipping-p2p-arch-00.txt

Perhaps you mean:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-02.txt

The list in sec. 8 is arguable IMHO, but now it's not time for
discussing how to transport bits.

BTW: I've missed some messages and have had to look for them on the
archive; does anyone have encountered the same problem?

Enrico