[p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

bk9001 at gmail.com (Brijesh Kumar) Thu, 25 May 2006 19:41 UTC

From: "bk9001 at gmail.com"
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:41:34 -0400
Subject: [p2p-sip] P2PSIP, Kademlia and caching

----- Original Message -----
From: "Heiko Niedermayer" <niedermayer at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>

> commenting on all the mails on DHts. Well, I assume that the choice of
> DHT is of minor importance and that any DHT will at least do after
> adapting it to P2PSIP. But, why not build a specialized p2p network for
> P2PSIP. SIP is not a pure hash table service, so why transform a SIP
> network to a hash table?

Good question that is very hard to answer except to say that this is the
easiest
thing  to do, and code. Well, hopefully someone will comeout with more
cogent answer.

> However, the big problem I see is that there is no convincing solution
> to provide security. Say, if I want to communicate with Nokia I might
> end up at Ericsson, that is fatal. And moreover, I do not want my
> personal data and behaviour be manged and tracked by peers I can and do
> not trust.

As you know, p2p application security without a confederated security
framework is not possible. You need to trust someone to be able to get in -
the
question is who will issue credentials, for a large network, who is willing
accept those credentials.

> So, the general question is if there is a way to secure P2PSIP and to
> provide privacy. In an open environment this is probably not possible. A
> closed P2PSIP network is no real value-add from my point-of-view. With
> respect to credentials, I assume that credentials are fine if the
> network is a closed infrastructure network and clients are not part of
> the network.

Very valid observation ..

cheers,

--bk