Re: [P2PSIP] Consensus calls

Wilhelm Wimmreuter <wilhelm@wimmreuter.de> Thu, 29 March 2007 17:09 UTC

From: Wilhelm Wimmreuter <wilhelm@wimmreuter.de>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Consensus calls
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:02:23 +0200
To: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>

Agree to 1) and 2) an had some thoughts about 3).

While understanding Henrys thoughts on a good
market penetration through 3), there are more
things to consider if we connect endpoints that
do not take part in the DHT ring.

- Peers in general must be part of the DHT ring.

- Their functions however can be quite polymorph

   I can see three major implementations for peers:

   + User Peers: Integrate P2P and the user interface
     e.g. P2P Phones or soft-clients
   + Service peers: Provide Services to other peers
     e.g.: Trust- , Database-, Directory-, Billing-
           Services etc.
   + Gateway Peers: Integrate the P2P endpoint and
     some mediation device to other network, service,
     and user/CPE entities.
     e.g. PSTN gateways, SS7 Gateways,
     h.323 Gateways (Henry, sorry for that),
     SIP- Network and User-Endpoint peers, ...

Considering hum 3), we will end up in the definition
of a gateway peer towards SIP phones. In fact, this
device must mediate things like:
  - Phone numbers to peer ID's
  - Peer presence to phone presence
  - Phone signaling peer equivalents
  - Routing functions as mentioned by Eric
    are another thing to handle.

Is this adaptor 3) not an ATA for P2P a SIP
endpoint gateway?

... I can see Fritz-, Linksys- and Intertex-boxes
that act as adaptor and interconnect to SIP phones
and well standard DECT or analog phones in
future.

By all that, I definitely agree on 3)!

Of course, we need to discuss if 3) shall become a

  - BCP for implementors of such adaptors/ATAs/gateways?
  or
  - Does 3) need a standards track RFC for mediation
    specific protocol stuff we need?

Willi

---
Wilhelm Wimmreuter