Re: [paws] need for DB initialization message

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Fri, 10 August 2012 00:14 UTC

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:14:50 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: /zeQfDztaOXienRtyf8hbw==
To: "<gabor.bajko@nokia.com>" <gabor.bajko@nokia.com>
Cc: "paws@ietf.org" <paws@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [paws] need for DB initialization message

<as individual>
I'm not so sure you need something separate for domain.  ISTM that the DB discovery could return it (possibly as a parameter on the DB URI).  OTOH, you might very well want to receive from the DB some kind of data specification (that is, what is required to be provided in the registration), rather than having it totally wired in to domain.  That means, to me, that the registration is a 4 way message exchange:
1. Device to DB: Authenticate me please
2. DB to device: Authentication accepted, send me this data
3. Device to DB: Here is my registration data
4. DB to device: Registration succeeded.

Now, having said that, you might just get authentication out of the TLS session establishment, this not needing step 1.

Brian