RE: [Pce] draft-leroux-pce-of-00.txt

"ASH, GERALD R, ATTLABS" <gash@att.com> Wed, 14 March 2007 20:17 UTC

Subject: RE: [Pce] draft-leroux-pce-of-00.txt
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:16:51 -0500
From: "ASH, GERALD R, ATTLABS" <gash@att.com>
To: LE ROUX Jean-Louis RD-CORE-LAN <jeanlouis.leroux@orange-ftgroup.com>, pce@ietf.org

IMO an important missing PCECP requirement is identified in http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-07.txt Appendix A (Compliance with the PCECP Requirement Document):

"   Here is the list of currently unsatisfied requirements:

   o  Allow to select/prefer from advertised list of standard objective
      functions/options

   o  Allow to customize objective function/options

   o  Support "unsynchronized" & "synchronized" objective functions"

They all deal with the missing 6 objective functions required in RFC 4657, and are an important omission in PCEP, so far.

You say that PCEP is 'stable' so you don't want to add them there?  Does that mean no further changes to PCEP before WGLC?  If so, the omission would be brought up during WGLC as an important gap in PCEP.

You don't want them in the OF draft, OK, your call.

Finally, once again, I don't think other new drafts (e.g., draft-lee-pce-global-concurrent-optimization-02.txt) that specify perhaps *new* PCEP requirements, should be satisfying the original RFC 4657 PCECP requirements on PCEP.  You also say 'We can add other synchronized objective functions in the next revision of the gco draft.'  I don't think that's the right place to satisfy the PCECP requirements.  And furthermore you say that yet another draft 'would define a set of straightforward unsynchronized objective functions including those we listed in 4657.'  It doesn't make sense IMO, rather, all 6 of these objective functions should be specified in the PCEP document.

It would be good to have other opinions on this.

Thanks,
Regards,
Jerry