Re: [PCN] Fwd: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review ofdraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Tue, 01 September 2009 15:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:21:54 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Fwd: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review ofdraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

I see there has been a lot of on & off list discussion about Spencer's
first comment (ie the abstract uses Diffserv domain, not PCN-domain). I
wasn't able to read all the discussion because it has grown to 35 pages
(!!!!)

I guess I disagree with Spencer's comment.  my view is that the general
reader is more likely to know what a Diffserv domain is, so that's a
better term to use in the abstract. (if the reader wants to understand
exactly what a PCN-domain is then they read further). But if insisted
on, the easy solution is just to add "called a PCN-domain" after
"Diffserv domain". Problem solved.

I disagree with the direction that the revised abstract has been going.
It seems to be trying to write a (longish) paragraph summary of what PCN
is. I think that is not needed & in fact is quite a bad idea - it's a
job for the introduction. I think the abstract should just say what the
Baseline encoding is about. However, I think it's probably ok to start
with one sentence about the objective of PCN, or a reference to rfc5559.

However, I think it might be worth adding to the abstract to explain why
this is called the "baseline" encoding, ie there are other encodings
building on this one that differentiate two severity levels of
PCN-marking. In fact, allowing (/ constraining) encoding extensions is
an important part of the baseline doc.

My suggested abstract is {..optional text..}:-

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain
{called a PCN-domain}.
Within the {PCN-}domain, PCN-nodes mark PCN-packets if the rate of
PCN-traffic is too high {as defined in [ref marking behaviour]}. This
document defines how such marks are encoded in the IP header for a
'baseline' encoding that provides for two PCN encoding states
(not-marked and PCN-marked). It reuses the ECN codepoint. Other
encodings can build on this baseline encoding to provide more than two
encoding states, in order to distinguish two severity levels of
PCN-marking.

Toby, I'll leave it to you to decide what you want to do with my
comments, as I think there's been plenty enough suggestions already.

Best wishes,
phil