Re: [PCN] Fwd: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Reviewofdraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

<toby.moncaster@bt.com> Fri, 04 September 2009 11:16 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:14:51 +0100
From: toby.moncaster@bt.com
To: philip.eardley@bt.com, pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Fwd: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Reviewofdraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

As the IETF LC has now finished with no further comments, I am in the
process of completing the revised draft for the IESG to approve.

I have decided that Phil has a sound point about the abstract - what we
had ended up with last week was effectively a complete introduction to
the PCN architecture as a whole. I have now crafted a final abstract for
people to see if they approve. I will actually submit the revised
version by 1600 GMT this afternoon so if people disagree they need to
shout quickly!

Before I give the abstract, a few words to explain where it is coming
from. I think the abstract for the baseline encoding needs to do the
following: introduce readers to PCN - by which I mean give them a hint
as to what field this is in, NOT describe PCN in detail...; Then
introduce PCN marking; then finally explain that this is the baseline
encoding for that marking...

   The pre-congestion notification (PCN) architecture is intended to
   protect the QoS of inelastic flows within a DiffServ domain. In order
   to do this, packets belonging to PCN-flows are marked when the rate
   of traffic exceeds pre-configured thresholds on a link. These marks
   can then be evaluated to determine how close the domain is to being
   congested. This document specifies how such marks are encoded into
   the IP header by redefining the Explicit Congestion Notification
   (ECN) codepoints within such domains.  The baseline encoding
   described here provides only two PCN encoding states: not-marked
   and PCN-marked. Future extensions to this encoding may be needed to
   provide more than one level of marking severity.

Toby

PCN