Re: [PCN] IESG feedback from 3-in-1 encoding/ encoding comparison

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Wed, 14 March 2012 12:41 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: slblake@petri-meat.com, ietfdbh@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:41:11 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, toby.moncaster@cl.cam.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [PCN] IESG feedback from 3-in-1 encoding/ encoding comparison

I think that the encoding-comparison draft is sufficient and that they don't need to be published as historical rfcs. Mainly because of the extra effort involved with no benefit in my view.

If it is decided there is consensus and effort to progress these 2 docs as historical, I suggest:

- waiting for 3-in-1 to get to RFC status or at least into rfc editor, in case issues emerge during that approval which need to be reflected back into these two docs. (For instance, Bob recently sent an email - not sure if that would imply changes to these two docs as well.)
- please make sure key parts (abstract, intro, conclusion) make it clear that this is a document for archive purposes and the actual encoding to use is in rfcxxxx potential confusion

Re:
> I was suggesting that having a normative reference to an expired draft
> could be problematic.
I think this can be skirted round. In the encoding comparison, say something like "PSDN encoding was proposed in [ref]"
Then it can be an Informational reference - since it's informing the reader where it was proposed, whereas the actual definition is in the encoding comparison doc.