Re: [PCN] PCN admission marking algorithm - consensus?

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Wed, 05 March 2008 13:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 14:16:52 +0100
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: philip.eardley@bt.com, pcn <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PCN] PCN admission marking algorithm - consensus?
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I would like to briefly comment some issues raised along this thread.
Possibly there were also some misunderstandings.

There was the debate concerning whether the metering and marking
function has to be done at the head end or tail end of a link. This has
actually no impact on the obtained markings. Therefore, I do not
understand why this must be standardized and the configuration must be
consistent. If we say the location must be the same for all links of a
domain, this is not enough for inter-operability when vendor A
implements all function for the head end and vendor B for the tail end
of a link. Therefore, we should provide either more flexibility or
specify exactly where to implement the functions.

The question whether packet metering and marking is done before or after
packet loss occurs has more impact on the correctness of PCN than the
above aspect. For the case of termination marking see 3.2 of
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/Menth07-PCN-Eval.pdf
Therefore, standardizing this issue could avoid different behavior of
different equipment in challenging situations. However, this possibly
reduces implementation options for vendors.

Regards,

Michael

philip.eardley@bt.com wrote:

> Here are some replies to some comments that Joe sent me (Joe replied
> to a draft version I sent directly, but all the comments below still
> apply to the version I sent to list) (hope that’s ok joe).
>
> Thanks
>
> phil

Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn