Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option

"Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com> Wed, 05 March 2008 07:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:36:17 +0100
From: "Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com>
To: toby.moncaster@bt.com
Cc: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Toby,

I don't object to your position in general, my point of view is:

- no standardisation to avoid unplanned misconfiguartion.
- standardisation to avoid "planned misconfiguration" (misuse).
- standardisation to tackle with different interpretation of
  the same bits by different domains (see eg. DiffServ).
- description of misconfiguration scenarios and how to deal
  with them in appropriate sections of a standard (sometimes
  this is security, sometimes operation).

Otherwise, I welcome every PCN solution starting with single
marking and evolving to more complex schemes. The main argument
I see for such an approach is applicability within MPLS domains
by support of a single codepoint mechanism. I also regard
support of a single codepoint mechanism as a "MUST" for every
PCN solution searching deployment in the backbone (of the company
I work for, to state it correctly).

Regards,

Rudiger

| > |
| > | Regards, Joe
| > | email:babiarz@nortel.com
| > |
| > | Hi Toby,
| > |
| > | as I understand the proposal, the motivation is to avoid 01/10
| > | codepoints as it is not good if they leak out of the
| network since
| > | 01/10
| > |
| > | is interpreted as ECN-capable ECT(0/1) by ECN nodes.
| However, there
| > | is the same problem with 11 marking, i.e. 11-packets may not be
| > | dropped by ECN nodes outside the PCN domain although
| endpoints are
| > | not ECN capable.
| > |
| > | Even if 11-packets trigger flow termination, it is not guaranteed
| > | that exactly the marked flow going over an overloaded ECN node is
| > | terminated.
| > |
| > | Just want to say that this solution wants to solve a problem that
| > | exists
| > |
| > | only in case of misconfiguration (leaking packets), but does not
| > | fully achieve that objective. Therefore, I feel that spending two
| > | DSCP values is quite expensive.
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > |
| > |     Michael
| > |

| > and feel we
| > | may
| > | pros and few
| > | I will go

| > | PCN behaviour

| independent, eg
| admission
| > having to read
| > | the

| > | ECT(1). This is
| > | to some fort
| > | a single

| > | ECT(1) in some

| > | reads its DSCP.
| ECN fields.

| deploy SM
| > | DSCP.
| horrific
| > | later, just
| > | by
| > encoding and check
| > | for

| (Although

| > | its ECN = 11
| > | PCN-domain,
| > | (tunnelling)

| > (ECMP) that uses
| > | the
| > | within
| > | of an ECMP
| > mis-ordering
| > | when

| above. However
| > | there
| is affected
| > | marked
| > reset the
| > to see if
| > | this
| over-termination or not.

| benefits too). I
| > | would

| > "why not try
| > | this
| of possible
| > | clearer
| > | be good to
| > | that only uses

| > ____________________________________________________________________
| > | Centre, BT

| > |
| > | --
| > | Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor University of Wuerzburg,
| > | Institute of Computer Science Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg,
| > | Germany, room B206
| > | phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
| > | mailto:menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
| > | http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn
| > |