Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option

"Ingemar Johansson S" <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> Fri, 22 February 2008 09:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:46:47 +0100
From: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
To: menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, bob.briscoe@bt.com
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi

See inline

/Ingemar

Not sure that I agree, yes the ECT(0), ECT(1) codepoints are lost and
there goes also the ECN nonce and the "inband" ECN capability signaling.
A router outside the PCN domain wont be able to set ECN-CE. However if
the ECN capability is negotiated out of band for the wireless endpoints
and the up and downlink wireless nodes, these will be ECN-CE capable but
without the nonce capability.

> Therefore, I opt for one of the two versions
> 1) discard 11-marked PCN packets before entering the PCN domain OR
> 2) let them go through the PCN domain, take them into account
> for metering, but do not remark them.
> The first option loses ECN capability for PCN traffic, the
> second option keeps it on the subpath before entering the PCN domain.
Not sure I follow here. What would option 2 look like?
My interpretation: Packets with DSCP=EF enters the PCN domain, at
ingress they are remarked as DSCP=PCN unless ECN="11", in which case
DSCP=EF. What about ECN="01" or "01" will these also be kept as DSCP=EF
or will the ECN bits be set to "00".
Please explain.