Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Fri, 22 February 2008 15:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:53:22 +0100
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: toby.moncaster@bt.com
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, bob.briscoe@bt.com
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Toby,

toby.moncaster@bt.com wrote:
> Just a quick question relating to all this: What deployment scenarios do
> people envisage as being sensible for the single-domain PCN solution we
> are currently meant to be standardising? It strikes me that some of the
> coding schemes are making assumptions about the nature of the network
> topology either side of the PCN domain.
>
> I actually do quite like Ingemar's scheme, especially in the modified
> version using a parallel DSCP which provides a really elegant way to
> tunnel 11 across the PCN region. One definite con (true for many
> schemes) is that you have to read both the DSCP and the ECN fields
> before you can decide how to mark (as you mustn't remark TM to AM). I am
> still unclear exactly how Michael envisages metering these packets?
> Would you meter them with other TM marks?

All 11-marked packets would undergo the metering process with other NP,
AM, and TM marked packets for admission metering, and they would also
undergo the metering process with other NP, AM marked packets for
termination metering.

But given the fact that this raises vulnerabilities, I tend towards
dropping 11-marked packets at the ingress which essentially switches off
ECN capability for PCN traffic and saves a codepoint (11). This pushes
Phil's idea of "blind marking":
NP: 00
AM: 10
TM: 01
AM&TM: 11
The marker does not need to read the ECN bits before marking. Well,
actually this is not true because only NP and AM packets should be
respected for TM marking ... maybe not so helpful then as this applies
only to AM-marking. Saving a codepoint might possibly be better for
future use such as AffM?

Regards,

    Michael