Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Fri, 22 February 2008 15:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:24:52 -0000
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com, karagian@cs.utwente.nl
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, bob.briscoe@bt.com
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: RE: PCN encoding option
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Ingemar

Just catching up - haven't read all the thread, so sorry if this has
already been brought up.

you clear ECT to 00 at the ingress. therefore ecn [3168] doesn't work -
unless you take alternative action (Architecture draft describes the
possibilities, S3.5: [downgrade the packet to non PCN-BA, eg best
effort; tunnel the packet, so that the ECN-marking is carried
transparently across the PCN-domain.])
I don't see the fact that you carry 11 transparently makes any
difference to this.

phil

ECT(0)
> and ECT(1) codepoints instead of the ECN-CE codepoint. The reason is
> simply that from a realtime communication scenario with out of band
> signaling it is always possible to negotiate the use of ECN CE mark in
> wireless nodes by means of eg. SIP signaling. Also, atleast for
RTP/UDP
> I see little use for ECN nonce like it is done with TCP as this is
more
> or less an anti-cheat feature.
>

> One would then end up with a PCN encoding schema like (I beleve option
5
> in figure 1 in the PCN encoding draft) is the closest.
>
> PCN Meaning		ECN 	 DSCP
> =============================
> PCN capable		00	 PCN 1
> Admission Mark	01	 PCN 1
> Termination Mark	10	 PCN 1
>
> At PCN ingress the ECT(0) and ECT(1) codepoints should be set to "00",
> likewise at PCN egress. ECN CE is however left untouched. This has the
> effect that routers will be able to set ECN-CE on packets before they
> enter the first PCN domain, after exit from the PCN domain  routers
are
> not anymore allowed to set ECN-CE (RFC4774 section 4.3). Wireless
nodes
> such as LTE-eNB (Long Term Evolution-Enhanced Node B) can however set
> ECN CE as this is can be managed by out of band signaling.
>
> Besides this I would prefer a solution that maintains end to end
> semantics regardless of DSCP value. If one consider DCCP we don't know
> today if it will be a best effort traffic alternatiive or if there is
> benefit with it even with QoS and DCCP can use ECN nonce.
>
> /Ingemar

The

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/pcn/draft-sarker-pcn-ecn-pcn-usecases-00.txt