Re: [Pesci-discuss] iesg and newtrk

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Fri, 18 November 2005 04:23 UTC

To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: [Pesci-discuss] iesg and newtrk
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:23:37 -0500
Cc: pesci-discuss@ietf.org
Sender: pesci-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

While I stand behind everything I said, I'll admit that my language
was more emotional than needed.  I'm sorry about that.

I do believe that we need to treat each other as parties working
together to solve common problems.  The IESG is trying to be as
constructive as it knows how.  I believe those making proposals are
trying to be constructive too.  If you don't think someone succeeded
in being constructive, point it out and work with them to figure out
what they meant to say or how they should say it.

Being constructive is not the same as agreeing.  Being constructive is
sometimes not even the same as working to solve a problem.  I may
honestly believe something is not a problem or believe it is not worth
the time to solve.  Blocking others is not constructive but building a
consensus against a particular process change can be.

However many of the proposals are blocked.  We need to figure out how
to unwedge them.  I've been thinking hard about this since pesci.  I
hope to have a proposal soon; I'd like to talk it over with brian
first.  Of course, he may well convince me it's a bad idea, and I may
end up going back to the drawing board.

--Sam