Re: [pkix] RFC 5742 review of draft-hotz-kx509 and about RFC 4211

denis.pinkas@bull.net Fri, 01 June 2012 07:24 UTC

To: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>, hotz@jpl.nasa.gov
From: denis.pinkas@bull.net
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 09:24:13 +0200
Cc: pkix <pkix@ietf.org>, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Subject: Re: [pkix] RFC 5742 review of draft-hotz-kx509 and about RFC 4211

First of all, thank you for both of you for your fast response.

I am not arguing there is an RFC 5742 conflict with this document.

Since you said that is an attempt to document an existing deployed
protocol, we cannot change it.

Since you said that designing a better protocol is an expected follow-on
work, I raise the question to both the editors and the WG chairs
whether the document should be on the experimental track rather than on
the informational track.

Clearly, I believe that only changes to the security consideration
sections should be made, keeping in mind that
confidentiality an integrity protection can be done at lower layers. This
is what the security considerations section should recommend.

Finally, I believe an errata on RFC 4211 should be prepared, but this is a
separate concern with Jim.

Denis