Re: [pkix] RFC 5742 review of draft-hotz-kx509 and about RFC 4211

"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> Fri, 01 June 2012 08:17 UTC

From: "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 01:17:02 -0700
To: denis.pinkas@bull.net
Cc: pkix <pkix@ietf.org>, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Subject: Re: [pkix] RFC 5742 review of draft-hotz-kx509 and about RFC 4211

On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:24 AM, <denis.pinkas@bull.net> wrote:

> First of all, thank you for both of you for your fast response.

No prob.

> I am not arguing there is an RFC 5742 conflict with this document.

OK.  Thanks.

> Since you said that is an attempt to document an existing deployed protocol, we cannot change it.
>
> Since you said that designing a better protocol is an expected follow-on work, I raise the question to both the editors and the WG chairs whether the document should be on the experimental track rather than on the informational track.

The question has come up before, at least generically.  (With Steve Kent IIRC.)  I don't think it should be standards track because we want to fix it.  I don't think it's actually experimental because it's somewhat widely deployed.  I don't think it's historic because it's currently in use and we don't have a replacement designed yet.  I do think it's informational because, well, the document is providing useful information about a real internet protocol.

> Clearly, I believe that only changes to the security consideration sections should be made, keeping in mind that confidentiality an integrity protection can be done at lower layers. This is what the security considerations section should recommend.

As I said in other email, adding confidentiality will probably be done in a future, incompatible version.  Integrity protection is already provided (though without algorithm agility which will also be added in a future, incompatible version).  The existing deployments are over bare UDP.