Re: POP3 highest number accessed

Glenn Anderson <glenn.anderson@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Wed, 25 May 1994 00:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 12:03:57 +1200
To: ietf-pop3+@andrew.cmu.edu
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Glenn Anderson <glenn.anderson@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: POP3 highest number accessed

>Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:
>>      In RFC-1225, the ``highest number accessed'' could be initially set to
>> some value other than zero when a user authenticates.  This would happen if
>> terms, the \Seen flag was set).  The RSET command restores this ``highest
>> number accessed'' to the value at initial startup.
>>
>>      In RFC-1460, there is no change (that I can determine) to the ability of
>> the initial ``highest number accessed'' to be other than zero with certain
>> servers, but the RSET command has been changed to set this to zero.
>>
>>      John Myers tells me that in draft-rose-again-01.txt, the ``highest
>> number accessed'' is supposed to be set to zero.  This document claims that
>> ``no one implemented'' preserving that state across sessions; this is
>> incorrect since I have implemented it.

  I have also implemented it in my POP3 server for the Macintosh. The way I
see it, the LAST command is useless if it does not preserve the the highest
accessed number between sessions. If the highest accessed number is reset
to zero at the start of a session, then the LAST command will just tell the
client what the last message it read or deleted was. The client should
already know this as it has just issued the commands to read or delete the
message, which makes the LAST command redundant.

Glenn.

! Glenn Anderson, Technical Assistant, Systems, University of Otago Library !
! Internet:glenn.anderson@stonebow.otago.ac.nz                              !
! "Knowledge is like a jigsaw puzzle, no matter how many pieces you've got, !
! if you can't put them together, you won't see the whole picture"          !
! Opinions are not in my job contract so my employers have no claim to them !