Re: [port-srv-reg] FW: Merging Stuart's registry with port-numbers

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Tue, 12 April 2011 21:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:27:28 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Michelle Cotton <michelle.cotton@icann.org>
Cc: "port-srv-reg@ietf.org" <port-srv-reg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] FW: Merging Stuart's registry with port-numbers

The SRV spec requires the DNS entry use _tcp or _udp. I had a discussion
with Gorry that sometimes these don't really matter (some use these
entries and still use another transport, such as SCTP or DCCP).

We said in the ports doc that the transport must be listed, and only
certain transports were accepted:

---
    o  Transport Protocol(s): The transport protocol(s) for which an
       assignment is requested MUST be provided.  This field is currently
       limited to one or more of TCP, UDP, SCTP, and DCCP.  Requests
       without any port assignment and only a service name are still
       required to indicate which protocol the service uses.
---

I would tell the applicant they have to pick a transport, e.g., the one
they intend to lookup the service name under (even if they use a
proprietary transport later).

 From IANA's viewpoint, it's just going to end up being a TCP or UDP or
somesuch registration.

Joe