Re: [precis] WGLC: draft-ietf-precis-framework-09.txt

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Wed, 09 October 2013 09:26 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:24:29 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] WGLC: draft-ietf-precis-framework-09.txt

On 2013/10/09 10:59, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 05:03 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> Same here, but for different reasons. The WG is publishing a document
>>> with user name and password profiles at (roughly, at least?) the same
>>> time as this one. Why are we saying "two is enough" but then doing
>>> more? Maybe the user name/password ones aren't classes, or whatever,
>>> but a slight rewording would go a long way here to help avoid the
>>> impression that the WG is at odds with itself.
>>
>> That raises the question of whether our layering of classes and
>> subclasses and profiles is really all that helpful. During the NEWPREP
>> BoF, we had fairly strong agreement that we wanted to define a very
>> limited number of classes (say, two or three) that could be re-used by
>> application protocols. At the least, I think we need to more clearly
>> describe the relationship between classes and profiles. I'll look at
>> the existing text and propose better text on the list.
> OK, I've thought about this further.

Me to. I haven't thought about how to organize the hierarchy much, but I
have realized that at least it should be better documented.

That starts with the Abstract! It says:
    specification that reuses this framework can either directly use the
    PRECIS string classes or subclass the PRECIS string classes as
    needed.

"the PRECIS string classes" implies that these have been mentioned
before, but that didn't happen. I suggest something like:

This document defines several PRECIS string classes. Other
specifications can either directly use such string classes or can
subclass a string class defined here.

(please note the change from "reuse" to "use", this document doesn't use
the classes, so there's no need for "re").

The abstract could then also talk about profiles (or whatever we end up
if the changes below are adopted).

While we are at it, please shorten the abstract (one way to do this is
to move historical/motivational stuff to the Intro or some other place
like an appendix because it won't be very relevant anymore in a few
years' time), or at least split it up into more than one paragraph.

Also, please explain the hierarchy (class-subclass-profile or whatever)
in a bit more detail in the introduction, with pointers to examples that
the WG is publishing in parallel.

Regards,   Martin.