Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Tue, 15 July 2008 07:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:22:10 +0100
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: maarten.vissers@huawei.com
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks Maarten,

I don't have time right now to engage you in a detailed discussion of
all these points...many of which relate to the same issues you have with
my colleague Andy Reid etc in the SG15 unified modelling work, ie what
is a connection, etc.  However, I fully stand by what I said earlier wrt
key principles here....and to quickly summarise:
-	if a technology is so bad it must have complex OAM and be
monitored to death the problem lies with the technology/network design,
eg the FUD over the alarm storm issue to justify AIS where it is simply
not required nor used today, eg IP networks;
-	OAM must be as a simple and sparse of function as
possible...largely because it must be super reliable but also because it
has an opex cost to configure/run/process;
-	in all nested TCM proposals over the last 10+ years I have seen
no solution for their automatic configuration and accurate processing
handling across failures/restorations....if this stuff was so vital
we've have done loads of it by now...but for some reason we haven't.

Regards, Neil