Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft

Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com> Thu, 17 July 2008 03:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:57:12 +0200
From: Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
To: pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

retry..

-----Original Message-----
From: Maarten Vissers [mailto:maarten.vissers@huawei.com]
Sent: 14 July 2008 11:02
To: 'neil.2.harrison@bt.com'; 'mohand@nortel.com'; 'sajassi@cisco.com'
Cc: 'pwe3@ietf.org'; 'stbryant@cisco.com'

Neil,

> 2	I note that the BDI (or RDI) function has been piggy-backed in CC
messages in both Y.1731 and 802.1ag.
> In the case of co-cs or co-ps mode layer networks this only works for
> symmetrical bidirectional connections, ie p2p constructs only.  It
> does not work for p2mp connection constructs (as these cannot be
bidirectionally symmetric) and so a CC message and a BDI message need to be
distinct/independent OAM messages here.

You make a mistake here. First you have to specify what a bidirectional p2mp
connection looks like and how the traffic flows, then you can address the CC
and RDI/BDI OAM mechanism.

1) A n-port bidirectional p2mp connection consists of either
  - one unidirectional p2mp connection from A to Z1..Zn-1 and
  - n-1 unidirectional p2p connections from Zi to A (i=1, .., n-1), or
  - one unidirectional p2mp connection from A to Z1..Zn-1 and
  - one unidirectional mp2p connection from Z1..Zn-1 to A.

Traffic flows from A to Zi.
OAM flows from A to Zi and from Zi to A.

Question: is there also traffic from Zi to A?

The second case (p2mp + mp2p) connection can be supported in a transport
tunnel layer. This p2mp/mp2p connection carries transport service layer
unidirectional and bidirectional p2p connections and/or unidirectional p2mp
connections, which have unique label values within the p2mp/mp2p tunnel
connection. Example: MPLS p2mp/mp2p tunnel with bidir p2p PWs and unidir
p2mp PWs, Ethernet asymmetric VLAN without MAC learning.

The first case can be supported in a transport service layer and transport
tunnel layer.

2) For the first case when there is no traffic from Zi to A, the CC function
checks the A to Zi (i=1, .., n-1) maintenance entities and the signal fail
status at the Zi ends is reported via RDI/BDI function from Zi to A. The CC
fucntion between Zi and A checks if the Zi to A connection is operational
and thus able to carry RDI/BDI from Zi.
There is as such no problem to combine CC and RDI/BDI OAM in a single OAM
message.

For the second case (p2mp/mp2p tunnel connection) CC function checks the A
to Zi Maintenance Entities and the signal fail status at the Zi ends is
reported via RDI/BDI function from Zi to A. The CC fucntion between Zi and A
checks if the Zi to A maintenance entity is operational and carries the
RDI/BDI from Zi. At A, the status of the mp2p unidir 'transport entity' is
computed from the status of the individual p2p maintenance entities; the
result is reported from A to Zi via the RDI/BDI inside the CC from A to Zi.
There is as such no problem to combine CC and RDI/BDI OAM in a single OAM
message.

Regards,
Maarten