Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Tue, 15 July 2008 08:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:09:38 +0100
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: maarten.vissers@huawei.com, mohand@nortel.com, sajassi@cisco.com
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org, stbryant@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Maarten,

I see the same issues here as in SG15 unified modelling wrt what
is/is-not a connection.  Irrespective of how one dresses it up this is
the key observation:
-	we can deterministically control resource assignment in p2p and
p2mp constructs (==connections)
-	we cannot deterministically control resource assignment in mp2p
or mp2mp constructs.
....and a whole raft of issues relating to SLAs, performance
inheritance, OAM, etc flow from this.

Trying to force traditional co OAM behaviour in cl mode technologies is
not a good idea IMO, eg AIS....but I do understand the motivation and
good intentions.  Sure we can overlay a set of N fixed points in a cl
mode network and broadcast a periodic CC+BDI function to them
all.....but you honestly expect me to buy-into a set of up to 8 nested
TCM levels all doing this, of which only the outer (ie access points)
remain invariant across failures/restorations?   And as N->large do
really think this is good idea?

Even Y.1731 recognises there is an issue with piggybacking BDI in
CC....section 7.5 says (in particular see text delimited by **):

7.5	Ethernet Remote Defect Indication (ETH-RDI)
Ethernet Remote Defect Indication function (ETH-RDI) can be used by a
MEP to communicate to its peer MEPs that a defect condition has been
encountered. ETH-RDI is used only when ETH-CC transmission is enabled.
ETH-RDI has the following two applications:
*	Single-ended fault management: The receiving MEP detects an RDI
defect condition, which gets correlated with other defect conditions in
this MEP and may become a fault cause. The absence of received ETH-RDI
information in a single MEP indicates the absence of defects in the
entire MEG
*	Contribution to far-end performance monitoring: It reflects that
there was a defect condition in the far-end which is used as an input to
the performance monitoring process.

A MEP that is in a defect condition transmits frames with ETH-RDI
information. A MEP, upon receiving frames with ETH-RDI information,
determines that its peer MEP has encountered a defect condition.
**However, for multipoint ETH connectivity, a MEP, upon receiving frames
with ETH-RDI information, cannot determine the associated subset of its
peer MEPs with which the MEP transmitting RDI information encounters
defect conditions, as the transmitting MEP itself does not always have
that information.**
Specific configuration information required by a MEP to support ETH-RDI
function is the following:
*	MEG Level - MEG Level at which the MEP exists
*	ETH-RDI transmission period - application dependent and is
configured to be the same as ETH-CC transmission period.
*	Priority -identifies the priority of frames with ETH-RDI
information. The priority is the same as ETH-CC Priority.
*	Drop Eligibility - Frames with ETH-RDI information are always
marked as drop ineligible. This information is not necessarily
configured.
A MIP is transparent to frames with ETH-RDI information and therefore
does not require any configuration information to support ETH-RDI
functionality.
The PDU used to carry ETH-RDI information is CCM, as described in
sub-clause 9.2.

7.5.1	CCM with ETH-RDI Transmission
A MEP, upon detecting a defect condition with its peer MEP, sets the RDI
field in the CCM frames for the duration of the defect condition. CCM
frames, as described in sub-clause 7.1.1, are transmitted periodically
based on the CCM transmission period, when the MEP is enabled for CCM
frames transmission. When the defect condition clears, the MEP clears
the RDI field in the CCM frames in subsequent transmissions.

7.5.2	CCM with ETH-RDI Reception
Upon receiving a CCM frame, a MEP examines it to ensure that its MEG
Level corresponds to its configured MEG Level and detects RDI condition
if the RDI field is set. For a point-to-point ETH connection, a MEP can
clear the RDI condition when it receives the first CCM frame from its
peer MEP with the RDI field cleared. **For multipoint ETH connectivity,
a MEP can clear the RDI condition when it receives the CCM frames from
its entire list of peer MEP with the RDI field cleared.**

Regards, neil