Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Sat, 12 July 2008 08:16 UTC

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:16:28 +0100
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: Jonathan.Newton@cw.com
Cc: sajassi@cisco.com, pwe3@ietf.org, stbryant@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-mohan-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-00.txt as WG draft
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Thank you Jon....some attempted answers in-line:
Jonathan.Newton@cw.com wrote 11 July 2008 18:22

> Hi Neil,
>
> A quick query on the subject of AIS:
>
> I understand your summary of the background of AIS, but there
> is surely still a requirement for a triggered forward error
> indication of some form?  ATM defined AIS cells for this
> function, so there is already a precedent for this function
> in a co-ps network.
NH=> Yes, that is true.  However, it's not as obvious a requirement as
you might think.  FDI requires a persistent binding of a client and
server layer network, ie the sever, on failure, needs to be sure who its
clients are in order to inject FDI into them....it's not much good if
those clients change.  This long-lasting client/server permanence has
been a traditional truth in nested PDH/SDH co-cs mode transport layer
networks...which is of course where the notion of AIS comes from as I
explained.  But what if the clients can change more dynamically?  Start
by envisioning co-cs or co-ps mode SVC clients (eg co-cs PSTN) which
have shrinking holding times......in the limit this become a single
message of a cl-ps mode client layer network.  So if we imagine a link
connection in such a client layer network (ie a single hop between 2
adjacent client layer nodes which is provided by a network connection in
some lower layer server network) it becomes quite clear that we cannot
assign any permanence between a specific client communications instance
and their use (or not) of that link (=server network connection).
Hopefully you can see that.  And this is why it makes no sense
whatsoever to carry over the idea of AIS/FDI into cl-ps mode layer
networks and explains why IEEE had the good sense to take AIS out of
802.1ag.

We discussed the issue of FDI within BT when considering the OAM we
would want for PBB-TE (co-ps mode based on using the original cl-ps
Ethernet traffic unit), and on balance we considered it was not a good
idea.  However, the CV and BDI OAM functions are essential....but they
should NOT be piggybacked in order that we can properly address the p2mp
connection case.

But as I also noted in my mail, a key requirement on OAM (at least that
used for defect detection) is that it is super reliable, and that tends
to mean as sparse as possible of function with minimal configuration.
Anything that requires lots of config (and the TCM stuff factors heavily
here - see later comment) is really not a requirement.

> The problem that I foresee is that, although ethernet is
> inherently cl-ps, Ethernet will be extensively used in a p2p
> manner, especially when ethernet is used as a tail circuit to
> an IP service.  In this case, I think that an AIS function is
> valid.  If this is not available, would we not need to have
> CCM enabled in all cases?
NH=> Please remember that CV and FDI are very different.  CV checks THIS
layer network, FDI is an indication of failure (possibly from a CV flow
detected defect) in a LOWER layer network.  I've seen folks try and 'do
away' with CV and just use FDI...it's a mistake.....as to get FDI SOME
layer network has to be able to detect it's failures, and it won't
always be the section layer, ie very bottom of stack, that can do this.
No CV means you are blind to defects in your layer network, you only see
server layer defects IFF they generate a FDI into your layer network
across the adaptation function...and as explained above, FDI/AIS is not
such a great idea as folks might think.

> Maybe the problem stems from the fact that SPs are often
> trying to use Ethernet, that is inherently connectionless, in
> a connection oriented manner!
NH=> Well yes....but the mere fact that special topology consideration
exists (ie the p2p degenerate network case you mentioned above) is not
the general network case.

> > Quite.....need to start getting these things right (here a
> transparent
> > client/server layer network relationship).
> Yes, seems to be the root of a lot of issues we are running
> into!
NH=> It is rather important/fundamental....but it is violated all over
the place.  I'll say no more on the matter here.

> Is it worth noting that Y.1731 seems to have defined a
> server layer:
> "NOTE - A Server MEP needs to support ETH-AIS function, as
> described in sub-clause 7.4, where the Server/ETH adaptation
> function is required to issue frames with ETH-AIS information
> upon detection of defect at the Server layer by the Server
> layer termination and/or adaptation function."
NH=> This is all about TCM.  One might like to observe that in any
general layer network only the access points are fixed....intermediate
points can change, and indeed MUST change if we want to have resiliency.
(You may be struck here by the similarities to the point I made earlier
regarding FDI and how one can't assume a permanence between a client
communications instance and the links (=server layer connections) it is
using at any epoch).  Now try and get your head around how you would
manage the config of such (moveable) intermediate points, especially if
you were trying to get accurate perf mon (PM) data across failures and
restorations.  TCM sounds good on paper, but show me the management
solutions for PM across dynamic changes of routing.  Hint=> I've looked
quite closely at doing this at end points that are time invariant/fixed
in the past and this is not a simple problem even here (eg pkts
in-flight, clock differences) now extrapolate that problem to a raft of
nested TCM levels that are not invariant/fixed....let me know when you
have an answer for PM in TCM across failures/restorations ;-)

Regards, Neil