RE: [Raven] Congressman Bob Barr thanks IETF for not doing the wi retap thang

Declan McCullagh <declan@wired.com> Thu, 03 February 2000 23:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 18:02:36 -0500
To: Melinda.Shore@nokia.com, raven@ietf.org
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@wired.com>
Subject: RE: [Raven] Congressman Bob Barr thanks IETF for not doing the wi retap thang
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

Melinda, I'm hardly a defender of Bob Barr, as my previous message makes
clear. But frothing doesn't cut it. Barr is a former US attorney and
(believe it or not, based on my interviews with him) a pretty sharp fellow.

Of course he's a religious right wacko, but when the Republicans control
the Congress, religious right wackos who care about privacy can move some
legislation. Look at Barr's speech last year at the Computers Freedom and
Privacy conference, his promised hearings on NSA illegal surveillance, his
opposition to CALEA, and so on.

He's better than leftist Democrats (who do care about you right to do
whatever you want in your bedroom, but automatically side with their pal in
the White House when it comes to wiretapping) on those issues.

-Declan