RE: [Widex] Working group last call (WGLC) for Requirements:draft-ietf-widex-requirements-01.txt

<Vlad.Stirbu@nokia.com> Sun, 14 May 2006 21:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [Widex] Working group last call (WGLC) for Requirements:draft-ietf-widex-requirements-01.txt
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 20:45:44 +0300
From: Vlad.Stirbu@nokia.com
To: jyu@openxup.org, widex@ietf.org

Hi Jin,

We started the requirements draft with the goal of having a minimal set
of requirements that a system exporting the UI to another system must
fulfill but stop short of going deeper in describing the system. Having
these goals in mind we described the high level interactions between the
Widex Server and Widex Renderer as having just two basic interfaces:

a) update interface, used to send information from the server to the
renderer that is basically generated by the application logic;
b) event interface, used to send information from the renderer to the
server that is basically generated by the user interaction with the
rendered UI.

It is quite likely that the terms used so far in the requirements draft
will not map directly to the specification, as is the case with the
proposed Widex framework
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stirbu-widex-framework-00.txt
) where practically all messages exchanged between the Widex Server and
the Widex Renderer are events described using REX.

I think that being able to dynamically adjust which events server is
interested in is a good feature but that is a design issue and Dave
already mentioned several alternatives. We'll have to asses these
alternatives and select the optimal one for our environment.

As a bottom line, I think that your comments are very useful but I think
that they should be considered for the Widex Framework draft rather than
for the Requirements.

Regards,
Vlad