Re: [rfc-i] [rfc-interest] Concerned about lacking inclusive? word replacement process

Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com> Wed, 14 September 2022 18:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 13:17:02 -0500
To: rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org
From: Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com>
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] [rfc-interest] Concerned about lacking inclusive? word replacement process

Toerless,

On 9/12/22 6:31 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 03:17:04PM -0400, Joel Halpern wrote:
>> Hard to comment on your primary example as you were (understably) somewhat
>> vague.
> I just did not elaborate any further because i felt it would just derail more from my
> core point, which is that i would like IETF/RFC-editor to think about creating a tracking
> of old/bad/please-replace terms and their new/replacement terms.
[JM] The RPC recommends referring to the "Suggested Edits" column of
Table 1 [1], which is pointed to in the NIST document from the IESG
statement [2], rather than create a separate resource, as noted in the
IESG statement, "Using the same terminology as other standards
organizations and industry initiatives also contributes to overall
coherence in the industry."

The replacement of a term is context dependent, and while we may make a
suggestion, the RPC lets the authors choose. If an author declines to
make updates, the RPC relies on the document's other AUTH48 participants
to speak up if any changes are needed.

The current RPC guidance can be found in the Web Portion of the Style
Guide [3].

Best regards,

Jean Mahoney
RPC Project Manager