[rfc-i] Scaling factors for graphics

mellon at fugue.com (Ted Lemon) Sat, 12 July 2014 02:05 UTC

From: "mellon at fugue.com"
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 22:05:01 -0400
Subject: [rfc-i] Scaling factors for graphics

On Jul 11, 2014, at 4:07 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't parse "actual size". Scaling to fit the screen/window/paper
> size is a given, isn't it? The only question is whether the author
> needs any control over it.

If an image is really detailed, scaling it to fit a very small screen may be the wrong thing to do; it may be better to let the user scroll it.   You see this in ebooks sometimes--a figure will be so tiny that it's impossible to make sense of it, and it can't be expanded.   So I think it does make sense to specify a minimum size in inches or millimeters for an image.   If some presentation system wants to shrink it more, that's fine, but the information is useful.