Re: [Rfced-future] Suggested text for issues #56, #57, #61, #62

Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> Tue, 24 August 2021 11:52 UTC

From: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 23:52:12 +1200
Cc: Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, rfced-future@iab.org, Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Subject: Re: [Rfced-future] Suggested text for issues #56, #57, #61, #62

(Resending from the correct address)

> On 24/08/2021, at 11:09 PM, Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>
> Some quick comments below.
>
>> On 24. Aug 2021, at 12:54, Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some initial reactions based on a first read.
>>
>>> On 2021-8-24, at 12:20, Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>>> # Roles and Processes
>>>
>>> ## RFC Production Center (RPC)
>>>
>>> Publication of RFCs shall continue to be handled by the RFC Production Center (RPC) function in accordance with high-level policies that have been
>>> specified through the RSWG/RSAB process as well as based on advice from direct discussions with the RSEA, stream managers, IETF LLC, authors and other community memberss in cases where the implementation of a policy is not clear or not sufficient.
>>
>> Why include "authors and other community members" here? I can understand why the RPC would consult with the other bodies/roles listed, since they have defined roles in terms of setting policy and may hence be able to offer additional guidance. But acting based on advice from authors and/or otherwise unidentified community members seems unmotivated?
>
> I took this from the original proposed text from Jay. I agree that listing "RSEA, stream managers, IETF LLC” here should be sufficient. However, I let Jay reply if he had more specific cases in mind.

This text has merged text I didn’t write with text I did write and now has quite a different meaning from what I intended.

My text mentioned “ direct discussions with the RSEA, stream managers, IETF LLC, authors and other community members” in the context of the requirements for the work program not the  policies. In other words - the RPC should be open to saying “we had this great suggestion from X to improve Y that we plan to implement”.

The phrase “high level policies” originally appeared in a different context:

> Publication of RFCs shall be continue to be handled by the RFC Production Center (RPC) function in accordance with high-level policies currently in force or yet to be defined following the processes specified in the foregoing sections of this document.

This was followed by my text below, which I think is still the best way to explain this, it’s the detail following that needs changing not this text.

> The RPC follows a work program based on requirements it has gathered from a variety of sources, including policies that have been through the RSWG/RSAB process, and from direct discussions with the RSEA, stream managers, IETF LLC, authors and other IETF participants.

Jay
--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director