Re: [Roll] Alvaro's review on turnon Rfc 8138 07

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Mon, 06 July 2020 17:23 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>, "'roll-ads@tools.ietf.org'" <roll-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 13:23:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [Roll] Alvaro's review on turnon Rfc 8138 07

Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\) <pthubert=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
    > This takes us to 2) The above is why in the current text the leaf that
    > does not support the compression SHOULD act as a RUL, so it is an
    > external target and thus the default for it is to decompress before
    > forwarding. Alvaro and I are talking about MUSTing that, with the
    > argument that a RUL supporting the RPL compression looks like an
    > oxymoron.

The problem is that this is a new rule (new code), and the point was to
allow rfc8138 to be turned on without new code, right?

When we did RFC8138, it was stated that it would get deployed in greenfields
only, and that we didn't need signaling.
That's not the case, so we have jumped on this work to do "something".

This document is not supposed to accomodate old nodes: compression is either
supported on every node, or not yet supported on every node.

To determine that dynamically, we need capabilities.
What we have in this document is an operator controlled bit, not dynamic at
all.

I'm not sure when it mutated it's purpose :-)

I believe that the document has tried to do too many things.
Maybe just cut out everything that is not about that bit.
For instance, section 5, paragraph 3:

   If the
   compression is turned on, the node cannot forward compressed packets
   and therefore it cannot act as a router.

should just say, "the node/network fails"

>   To ensure that a packet is forwarded across the RPL Instance in the
>   form in which it was generated, it is required that all the routers
>   support [RFC8138] at the time of the switch, and that all nodes that
>   do not support [RFC8138] only operate as leaves.

I believe it is a misconfiguration (operator error) to turn on rfc8138 if
there are nodes that do not support it.  Just don't deal with that.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-