RE: [RPSEC] Re: draft-convery-bgpattack-00

"Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com> Fri, 08 November 2002 14:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:10:36 -0500
To: rpsec@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>
Subject: RE: [RPSEC] Re: draft-convery-bgpattack-00
Sender: rpsec-admin@ietf.org

What I see in S-BGP and this discussion is:

1) An approach that attempts to comprehensively provide security for BGP
2) An approach that for deployment probably requires significant
enhancements in the actual routing hardware (storage, increased memory,
crypto hardware).

It seems this overlooks several things:
A) The indications are that operators are not interested in (or possibly
even capable of) deploying solutions with this complexity
B) We could probably get a lot of coverage (but not as complete) with a
much simpler solution or set of solutions.
C) Securing BGP this carefully when the rest of the infrastructure is
completely insecure seems almost counter-productive.

Note that currently many operators do not deploy source address filtering,
or even martian address filtering with their customers.  And that is only
the tip of the iceberg of simple things that need to be done.  It would
seem that whatever energy it would take to even begin serious development
and deployment of S-BGP could be much better spent getting some of the
simple steps that are necessary deployed.  Then we could examine again to
determine what makes sense to do next based on that experience.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern