Re: [RPSEC] Re: draft-convery-bgpattack-00

Sean Convery <sean@cisco.com> Tue, 12 November 2002 19:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:03:21 -0800
From: Sean Convery <sean@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Re: draft-convery-bgpattack-00
To: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
cc: rpsec@ietf.org
Sender: rpsec-admin@ietf.org

On 11/5/02 at 9:38 AM, iljitsch@muada.com wrote:

SNIP
>> - Enterprise BGP Implementation - as a side rant, much of the
>> conversation I've seen on idr and rpsec seems to assume an ISP
>> deployment.  BGP is used plenty in enterprise environments as well.
>> Here MITM, sniffing, etc. become much more possible.
>
>But enterprises aren't typically in the position to propagate much
>malicious routing information as their ISPs filter them.

Right, but they are more than capable of being hacked on the inside
(regardless of filtering), which is one of the things we should be
concerned about.

SNIP
>> The easiest way we've come up with to do the analysis would be to
>> assign attributes to various parts of the tree based on different
>> topologies and attackers.  For more info check out the end of
>> section 1 of the draft.
>
>What I'd like to see is a simple web-based tool that has the tree and
>allows you to add security measures such as anti-spoofing filters, MD5,
>static MAC addresses on exchanges and so on, and then see how many of
>the attacks go away. This could be a learning experience. Heck, I might
>make something like this.

We agree and would love your help. :) Dave Cook is doing some modelling
to create the tree graphically from the source XML file.  We could
probably extend it to do something like this...

>> Regarding MD5, that got its own section 2.1.1.  Any attack against a
>> system employing MD5 would need to first run through that section of
>> the tree assuming the overall attack requires the generation of
>> valid TCP 179 messages.
>
>I don't think this is made explicit in every place.

Right, see my previous below response, we're assuming no best practices
in place:

>> For the entire tree, we assumed no best practices were employed,
>> this would give us a base set of attacks that could then be weeded
>> down based on lots of factors.
>
>You don't mention a list of best practices... It might be good to
>include a list. Actually I've been working on this for a while.

I would think best practices for BGP would need to be in a separate
draft.  There are lots of BPs spread all over the web, has anyone
grouped them all together for the IETF?

SNIP

>>> 2.1.7 man "in the middle" is not necessary as it is trivial to pose
>>> as the peer router if there is access to all the traffic.
>
>> I'm not sure I understand your comment.  In this attack we're not
>> assuming access to all the traffic.  Here the attacker is trying to
>> send a spoofed BGP message.
>
>For a successful man in the middle attack you must be able to:
>
>AND - sniff original traffic
>    - inject replacement traffic
>    - block original traffic
>
>However, man in the middle is more difficult to do than simply
>completely assume the identity of the neighbor and yields no extra
>results.
>
>> This tree shows he can do it one of two ways:
>
>> 1. TCP Sequence # attack + the spoofed BGP message
>
>This will obviously break the existing BGP session pretty quickly and
>then all routing information (spoofed or otherwise) from this peer is
>removed.

Again, we'd love to test this out. I agree, things could go badly for
the BGP session.

>> >If people don't filter properly you can also do very funny things by
>> >routing the BGP next hop addresses into oblivion.
>
>> Can you elaborate on that further?  I think I understand what you
>> are referring to, I'm just not sure where to put it in the tree.  Is
>> this a spoofed message or an intercepted and modified message from a
>> valid peer?
>
>I suppose it could be either. What you do is inject a route that makes
>the next hop address for other BGP routes point to an unexpected
>place. For instance, you can announce the /24 for an IX as two /25s
>with the next hop address set to your router and then you'll receive
>all traffic for all peers connected to the IX. (However, the sessions
>would probably go down in this case.) However, this can be stopped
>with proper inbound route filters.

Now I got it.  We do have some info on more specific route introduction,
but it is specific to IGP, We can probably broaden this definition in
2.1.3.

Thanks again,

Sean