Re: [rrg] Aggregatable EIDs

Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li> Mon, 28 December 2009 18:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:18:14 -0800
From: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
To: HeinerHummel@aol.com
Cc: rrg@irtf.org, zhangwei734@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [rrg] Aggregatable EIDs

Hi Heiner,

> There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding. I have never ever
> thought of such a crazy idea - to have geographically based exchange points.
>
> I think there is no controversal: IP addresses shall get an aditional
> attribute. Many years ago it was the mask. Now in LISP it is an ETR's IP
> address, in ILNP an AS# (I think), in TARA it would be 2 octets
> square-degree-index, 12 bits square-degree minute-index, 6 bits adjusted
> longitude-second, 6 bits adjusted latitude-second = 5 octets altogether.

How does routing work entering and within the geo-patch?  Traffic
arriving into the geo-patch must be routed to one of possibly many local
ISPs from one of possibly many long-haul transit ISPs.  For this to
work, there must be some interconnect between local and long-haul.  This
implies that there must be an exchange point, and that it needs to be
geo-patch specific.

> And my point is that EIDs shouldn't have to be aggregated at all,
> neither now nor ever in the future.

Please read Joel's posting again.  At the very least, ANY large name
space needs to be managed, and that management needs to be hierarchical
to scale.

Tony