Re: [rtcweb] Proposed Video Selection Process

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Fri, 22 November 2013 14:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:23:08 -0600
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposed Video Selection Process

The conversation seems to have veered into an argument about the
alternatives and not the proposed selection process.  I'll attempt to
focus on the topic in the subject line.

I am personally uncomfortable with the process as proposed.  I am one of
those referred to as a "lurker" in previous emails.  This is my first
post to this mailing list.  I have, however, read hundreds/thousands of
emails sent to this list.  I have also signed the previous three rtcWEB
blue lists.  I have not participated in meetings via Jabber.

I do think it is very important for the WEBrtc ecosystem to have at
least one MTI video codec.  I am not an expert in video codecs.  I don't
care which codec is chosen but I do consider it very important that
there be at least one MTI codec.

I do NOT think that inventing arbitrary criteria for determining if I am
eligible to vote is a good precedent to be setting in the IETF.

I fully understand the desire to attempt to eliminate ballot-box
stuffing in this proposed process.  Especially after the rumors of
double humming during the hum/Jabber +1'ing in Vancouver.  Personally I
think it is a fools game to try to eliminate attempts to game the
system.  It is going to happen anytime there is as much passion tied to
the outcome as in this case.  Ballot box stuffing happens.  It happens
with humming -- witness the increase in meeting attendance for sessions
with important hums.  I happens with voting -- witness the problems
established entities/governments that have extensive experience with
running elections still have keeping elections free and fair.

I don't see the IETF, who has very little experience with voting, being
successful at running a free and fair vote.  I say this with utmost
respect for the IETF.  Much of that respect coming because it is built
on consensus, not voting.

How do I think the working group should move forward?  I see three
viable options:

1) A coin flip
2) Two modern MTI codes
3) MTI of h.261 plus a modern MTI codec

I like the coin flip options as it results in a lot less email from the
lobbyists.

Regards,

Steve