Re: [rtcweb] Proposed Video Selection Process

Stefan Slivinski <sslivinski@lifesize.com> Thu, 21 November 2013 19:34 UTC

From: Stefan Slivinski <sslivinski@lifesize.com>
To: "'rtcweb@ietf.org'" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:31:05 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposed Video Selection Process

I'm a new comer, so just a brief intro: I have a background developing real time video codecs for embedded devices so I'm in a position to comment at a technical level within this group

For clarity purposes the proposed alternatives in Magnus' email on nov 18th; are we strictly speaking about decoders?  Historically mandatory requirements are they relate to video compatibility define just the decoders.  Obviously if there is only a single mandatory video decoder this implies a mandatory encoder, however in the case where there are 2 mandatory decoders only a single encoder is technically required.

Clarifying this is fairly important because in the case of both h264 and vp8 (and in the future vp9 and h265) the decoder complexity is fairly low and hardware acceleration is not critical but in the case of the encoders where the complexity can be 3x or worse, hardware acceleration becomes increasingly important

Stefan