Re: [rtcweb] Use case change request: Identity in multiuser calls

Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 11 August 2011 19:38 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:39:04 -0400
From: Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Henry Sinnreich <henry.sinnreich@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use case change request: Identity in multiuser calls

Well...

(I thought that the lawful intercept issue that came up several times is
pertinent here.)  But note that this was a parenthetical remark!

A non-parenthetical one is based on the quote from the cited draft:

"In the development of ZRTP, it was realized that there are scenarios
    in which the media can not be encrypted end-to-end.  For example,
    when a client has a trusted server or PBX which provides media
    services in the path.  For these cases, ZRTP developed mechanisms for
    handling a "trusted MiTM" which can terminate than reoriginate the
    SRTP encryption."

So, if we end up with a "trusted MITM," why not have a trusted central
server in the first place?

Igor

P.S.:  I have nothing against ZRTP, which has done a thorough and honest
job.  I question its applicability to the agreed use cases. Personally I
think we need an all-encompassing solution.