Re: [rtcweb] Use case change request: Identity in multiuser calls

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Wed, 10 August 2011 14:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:51:18 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use case change request: Identity in multiuser calls

Harald,

There was a lot of consideration of similar issues in the discussions
around draft-ietf-simple-chat-*. What I took away is that conferencing
implementations often want something like this, and they all spin it in
slightly different ways. I *suspect* that in many cases the differences
were gratuitous at the start, but that ultimately the chosen semantics
become entrenched. As a result, it may be necessary to support an
assortment of identity semantics - some of which may not make a lot of
sense when looked at closely and critically.

This centered on "nicknames" to be visible in the conference, and to be
used to support private communication between individuals in the
conference without disclosing their actual addresses. (I guess the
display names you mention below may be an instance of this.) We got into
all sorts of discussions of scope of uniqueness of nicknames.

	Thanks,
	Paul