Re: [rtcweb] Resolution negotiation - mandatory / advisory resolutions

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 19 April 2012 08:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:47:40 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Resolution negotiation - mandatory / advisory resolutions

On 04/19/2012 10:18 AM, Roni Even wrote:
> Hi Harald,
> The reason for the language was that this is really what the receiver wished
> to receive.
The strength of his wish may be the issue here....
>   The issue is that at least for H.264 there is no mandatory
> requirement for the encoder to support all resolutions within the supported
> level. The receiver must be able to crop and scale.
I couldn't parse that.

Does the sender have to (MUST) send a resolution within the boundaries
of the "recv" spec, or can he send something outside it? (ie if the
receiver sends recv [x=320,y=200], can the sender send something with
x=320,y=240, or is he completely constrained?)

What does the receiver have to be able to do?

                    Harald