Re: [rtcweb] Low Level Javascript API Proposal avail on the webrtc list

Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com> Wed, 28 September 2011 18:07 UTC

From: Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:09:25 -0700
To: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Low Level Javascript API Proposal avail on the webrtc list

On 28 Sep 2011, at 09:12, Roman Shpount wrote:

> Few questions that I have in regard to this:
(Neil seems to be having trouble posting to this list - so I'm forwarding his reply):

Answers inline:

> 1. How can you get local codec capabilities to implement something like
> SIP OPTIONS?

The local codecs and capabilities can be queried at any time, returned
as a json object to the javascript. This is really just asking the
browser what codecs it supports, which we have separated out from SDP
negotiation.

> 2. Can you specify multiple stun/turn/turns servers? If you do what is
> the candidate generation process? On the same note why do we provide
> both stun and turn relays? Isn't turn server is normally stun server as
> well?

I believe that you should be able to specify multiple servers if you
wanted to and that all candidates would be generated and tested based on
priorities etc. One relay may be in a better physical location for
instance than another for a given pair of users.

There may be cases when you want to specify both a stun and turn relay
even if the turn server can serve both purposes, for example as a backup.

> 3. How do you process multiple answers for the same dialog?
> 4. What do we do with multiple answers from a forked dialog? Is it even
> supported?

The intention is that we leave that to the javascript (library)
developer to decide how best to handle it. Forking presents some
interesting challenges.

> 5. What is the process for synchronizing audio and video streams?

We have the concept of a synchronization group as an attribute that can
be applied to streams, the intention being that those streams in the
same group should be synchronized by the lower layers if possible using
whatever mechanism they can.