Re: Seeking opinions on draft-akiya-bfd-seamless-alert-discrim

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Mon, 17 November 2014 06:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:03:32 -0800
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Nobo Akiya <nobo@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking opinions on draft-akiya-bfd-seamless-alert-discrim
Cc: "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>

Hello Nobo and BFD experts,

giving this document a closer look for the first time (ahem ;-) I have a
slightly different view.

Having S-BFD use cases for the general S-BFD in an extra document does
improve the overall discussion and documentation, simply because the base
S-BFD is already complex enough, as are the use cases.

But for such a relatively small document splitting off the reason why the
document exists is not improving the reading/understanding of this draft.
Unless you decide to integrate the alert-discriminator document into the base
document, then obviously you use the use-case document.

For the integration of the technical aspect into the base document, I think
this is an idea worth to discuss. At the end what you need is to add the rule
for the zero discriminator to the reflector behaviour; we managed this for
standard BFD, we should be able to do this for the reflector BFD as well :-)
For the diagnostic codes I'm not sure; it will complicate hardware
implementations (probably not a no-go problem though) and seems otherwise not
add a real value IMHO.

So if there are already at this stage of S-BFD use case(s) for
zero-discriminator to bring up (some) sessions then I would propose to
consider the integration into the base document. This will also guarantee
that the zero-discriminator handling is as fast as the "normal" reflection
and is not on a slower exception path.

I have a question: so far S-BFD packets would be received, not "picked out of
the data stream". Receiving could be because the destination IP would match
or would be 127/8, the TTL would be zero and so on. In the security section
you say ...

   Conceptually the Alert Discriminator is similar to an IP Router Alert
   Option or an MPLS Router Alert Label.

... and I wonder if you expect a node to "pick" S-BFD traffic (to the
reflector) with an alert-discriminator out of the data stream that otherwise
would just pass this node?
I guess you don't want but I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Regards, Marc