RE: FW: I-D Action: draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01.txt

Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com> Mon, 25 March 2013 02:59 UTC

From: Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com>
To: "curtis@occnc.com" <curtis@occnc.com>, "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: FW: I-D Action: draft-retana-rtgwg-eacp-01.txt
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 02:58:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.102.175]
Cc: "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>

Hi Curtis,

Please find my comments in-line below.

The methodology from my side is to put those optical components in a manageable DOWN state (sleeping). If protocol work creates the opportunity for them to stay in the sleeping state for seconds or minutes, energy saving can be significant.
Fiber forms for Ethernet does not support micro-sleeping mode, but they may support deep-sleeping mode. PHYs can negotiate a longer time to stay in deep-sleeping mode.

>So before anyone writes any more problem statements, requirements,
>frameworks, or complete solutions for energy aware networks, we need
>to have some research and some hard facts about where energy goes and
>where there are opportunities to save energy.

I agree that we should let numbers tell the truth. According to our observation, line-cards are the most power hungry part of high-end routers and switches. They can consume nearly 70% of the total power. Meanwhile, idle routers/switches consume more than 80% of their peak power. If we can shut-down components on line-cards or whole line-cards, we can save a considerable amount of energy.

This observation treats a router/switch as a black box. Our next step is to open this black box and see what further meaningful numbers we will get.

>We also should be
>asking whether providers and high end network equipment vendors see a
>need for any protocol work in this area.  So far the answer is a
>resounding "no".

Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) involves a great deal of protocol work. Network equipments supporting EEE have already been shipped around by vendors. Providers may not resist solutions that can save their OPEX, only if vendors can come up with workable ones.

>It is also worth pointing out that research so far has indicated that
>the greatest total savings is the furthest down the food chain at or
>near the customer network.  So the low power Ethernet applied to the
>10/100/1000 copper used in homes and small business makes a lot of
>sense.  IETF may not be the right place to attack the next layer up
>the food chain, things like CMTS to CM (cable modem termination
>systems to cable modem) or DSL efficiencies.

Power/Energy Aware NETwork needs the combination of "hardware work" and "protocol work". Protocol work should make use of the hardware characteristics. IOW, protocol work should create the opportunity for these techniques to save most energy.

Energy saving for composite links may become another low-hanging fruit. As you pointed out, the traffic aggregation onto component links may impact the cooling system. We can have a test to see what will happen, whether we should have some limit on the aggregation.

Thanks,
Mingui