Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:(Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt)

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se> Wed, 18 May 2005 14:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:23:05 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>
To: Alia Atlas <aatlas@avici.com>
Cc: rtgwg@ietf.org, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:(Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt)
Sender: rtgwg-bounces@ietf.org

Alia,

we need to be careful so we talk about the same thing. The
shen-mpls-nnhop is intended for the mpls working group, has
been oreented there and asked to be made a working group
doc. That part belongs in mpls.

What you describe below is requirments on a solution. The
requirement work may very well be be done in rtgwg or anywhere
else.

Actual protocol design should be done by the working group
that owns the protocol.

/Loa

Alia Atlas wrote:

> Loa,
>
> In this case, I agree with Stewart. (Much less usual than Stewart
> agreeing with Mike :-)
>
> To my mind, the IP FRR work that has been going on in rtgwg also applies
> to LDP.  LDP, after all, learns its next-hops from the IGP.  I have been
> referring to this work as IP/LDP FRR since the beginning and certainly
> advocating for its applicability to LDP as well.
>
> There are two points that I can see where there could be additional work
> for the mpls wg.   First, LDP FRR requires knowledge of labels from
> neighbors who are not the primary neighbors.  This means that the
> loop-checking which can be enabled in LDP should not be (at least for
> the non-primary neighbors)- because the label bindings do not all
> represent paths that would be taken.  This  doesn't require changes to
> LDP; it is a detail of the required mode.  There could be more text in
> the LFA draft to reflect the acceptable LDP modes/configurations that
> would work.
>
> Second, an advanced method may require extensions to support label
> discovery.  For U-turn alternates, the requirement is merely that a
> router advertise its label bindings to all neighbors - not merely those
> that are primary.  This is already clearly within the LDP spec - and a
> good idea for convergence reasons.  Thus, there's no work required for
> that aspect.  For U-turn alternates, for the explicitly marked U-turn
> packet, I do use a specific label that all implementations need to use
> in common; ideally that'd be a reserved label (13) but I haven't tried
> to start that discussion, until the future of U-turn alternates becomes
> more clearly defined.  For a tunnel approach that has the tunnel
> egressing at the next-next-hop, Naiming's idea of learning label
> bindings via a neighbor might be helpful.  For the tunnel approaches,
> there's also the potential/probable need for targeted sessions to
> support multi-homed prefixes, but that requires no extensions.  For a
> tunnel approach, it is highly likely that one tunnel technology used
> would be LDP, since that uses a hardware mechanism clearly supported today.
>
> My expectation was that the rtgwg would need to last-call the IP/LDP FRR
> work in the MPLS WG, as well as the ISIS and OSPF WGs, because of the
> applicability there.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Alia
>
> At 09:26 AM 5/18/2005, Stewart Bryant wrote:
>

>> Loa Andersson wrote:
>>
>>> Maiming and Stewart,
>>> you wrote - and I guess this is valid:

>>> Stewart Bryant wrote:
>>>  >
>>>  > I think the interest that we are seeing in IPFRR for LDP
>>>  > networks demonstrates the usefulness of this work. Sure
>>>  > RSVP-TE FRR exists, but some customers have expressed
>>>  > an interest in a solution that does not use RSVP.
>>>  >
>>> However the MPLS working group need to take a decision if,
> [...]

Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  loa.andersson@acreo.se
                                            loa@pi.se