Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt

Alia Atlas <aatlas@avici.com> Mon, 16 May 2005 17:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:21:42 -0400
To: Naiming Shen <naiming@cisco.com>
From: Alia Atlas <aatlas@avici.com>
Cc: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>, mike shand <mshand@cisco.com>, rtgwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: thoughts on draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt
Sender: rtgwg-bounces@ietf.org

Naiming,

One concern is what precisely is gained by this extension.  It seems to be
removing the overhead of the additional LDP sessions & adding in the
assumption that the LDP labels are allocated per-platform.

There are also timing issues - such as what is the delay in obtaining the
new information & the effect of using the old.  For instance, does a
neighbor N, on receiving a label withdraw from its neighbor R, send an
immediate label release or wait until all routers that N has forwarded R's
label to have released it?

Another is what does S do when it detects that the LDP session to N is
down?  Say there is a single link from S to N which has an untargeted LDP
session on it.  When the link fails, if it's POS, MPLSCP will also go down
- triggering the session to be torn down.  At the same time, traffic may be
forwarded, using labels learned from N, to N's neighbor R.  When/how are
those labels invalidated?

Alia