Re: [savi] Potential issue for all SAVI mechanisms?

Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es> Wed, 22 June 2011 10:41 UTC

From: Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es>
To: 'Jun Bi' <junbi@cernet.edu.cn>, "'Joel M. Halpern'" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:39:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [savi] Potential issue for all SAVI mechanisms?

Hi,
For the SEND case, the validation mechanism requires cryptographic processing from the switches, which should be very likely performed by the CPU of the switch. IMHO, the increased cost and burden of requiring fragmentation processing just for the specific messages being used by SEND SAVI should not be high compared to the cost of implementing the SEND SAVI mechanism.

For this case, the 'Security Considerations' section could include some comment to rate-limit this processing to counter a possible DoS attack using fragmented packets (although, again, it would very likely be more effective an attack forcing the switch to perform the validation for invalid SEND messages - as it is currently discussed in the 'Security Considerations')

Regards,
Alberto