[secdir] Secdir review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4930bis-02

Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil> Tue, 14 July 2009 13:56 UTC

From: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
To: secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, Scott Hollenbeck <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:56:02 -0400
Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4930bis-02

IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

Note:  I recently submitted a review of draft-hollenbeck-
rfc4933bis-02.  That was a mistake on my part; that was not the
document I was supposed to review.
Sandy Murphy is down for reviewing that one.  I am supposed to review
this one.  This document is the update of the based specification of
EPP, and so is related to rfc4933bis-02.

I've also had some discussion with Sandy about the issue she raised
with respect to draft-hollenbeck-rfc4933bis-02.  That is actually what
I first thought it was:  EPP only does a weak form of authentication.
So it depends on strong authentication done at the transport level or
application level.  However there is nothing in the document that I
can see
that says that the EPP ID must match the transport ID.  Thus, if it is
relying on the
authentication being done at the transport level, there appears to be
nothing to prevent the transport level channel being replaced by
another one at some point.  I am not enough of an expert on EPP
to make a definite recommendation as to how or whether this needs to
be addressed, but I feel that this is something that needs to be
brought to the attention of the IESG and discussed in the next
telechat.   If the
issue does need to be addressed, rfc4930bis is the place where it
should be handled.

Catherine Meadows
Naval Research Laboratory
Code 5543