Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4930bis-02

Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com> Wed, 15 July 2009 15:26 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:25:56 -0400
From: Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com>
To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-hollenbeck-rfc4930bis-02

And now, to correct what I said below.

The intent was to convey the difficulty of MITM when you don't bind the
ID the application is using to the secure transport.

As 5056 says:

    There may well be an MITM, particularly if either the lower network
    layer provides no authentication or there is no strong connection
    between the authentication or principals used at the application and
    those used at the lower network layer.

But my example leaves the impression that the binding is to the identity
exchanged in the sasl exchange.  It isn't.  It would be to the ID EPP uses
to identify the other end of the EPP connection.

Someone who knows this subject better than I would probably be of more use
explaining things here.

--Sandy